Avoid Swimming With Your Contact Lens On Because You Can Go Blind, Colorado Woman Warns

Lifestyle & Health

October 2, 2018 16:56 By Fabiosa

Many people love contact lenses, but not many know the risks involved with wearing one.

Acanthamoeba Keratitis is one of those many risks. It affects the eye when the parasite Acanthamoeba invades the contact lens. Acanthamoeba is amoeba which is found in water sourced like tap water, swimming pools, etc.

Once thought to be a thing of the past, as incidences reduced to its barest minimum, it appears to be on the rise at the moment. 

According to All About Vision, the incidence of Acanthamoeba Keratitis may be on the rise. The reason for this being the constant wearing of the contact lens by users when swimming.

READ ALSO: Disabled Girl Fell To Her Death From A Hospital Bed. Grieving Mother Blames Nursing Staff For Neglecting Their Duties

This Colorado woman was left blinded by Acanthamoeba Keratitis

An educator in Colorado, Stacey Peoples got blind in one eye after being infected by Acanthamoeba. She told Today that the pain was so excruciating, she became suicidal. 

According to her, she had been wearing contacts for 20 years and was not aware of the risks. And so, she did not think too much of wearing her contacts to go swimming with her son over Memorial Day Weekend in 2014.

One week later, her left eye became itchy and red. At first, the doctors told her it was just a pink eye, but as time went on, the situation deteriorated. Eventually, she lost her sight.

It was at this time that a cornea specialist diagnosed her with Acanthamoeba Keratitis. 

READ ALSO: Touching Reason Why Prince Harry Has Been Wearing The Same Cheap Bracelet For Nearly 20 Years

The infection made her eyes extremely sensitive to light. She always had to stay in a dark room, and she could not watch the television.

Stacey Peoples isn't the only one who learned this lesson

24-year-old Natalie Rance told BBC about how she acquired Acanthamoeba keratitis. She became infected after swimming in a pool with her contact lens on. For her, dealing with the infection was the worst pain she had ever experienced. According to her, it was of absolute agony round the clock. 

Hopefully, people would read their stories and learn from them.

READ ALSO: Daily Routines Of The Royal Family: What Do They Do When We Don’t See Them?