Beware Of Venomous Snakes That Can Live In Your Pool Noodles! And What To Do If You Are Bitten By A Snake

July 10, 2018

Fear is a fundamental mechanism of survival, as it warns you about possible dangers or even a threat to your life. Therefore, it’s OK to be afraid of all kind of things that can kill you. For instance, snakes. These cold-blooded, vicious predators don’t give a crap about your psychological character and can bite even the bravest person in the world. In most cases, though, snakes bite because they are afraid.


READ ALSO: Snake Attack! What You Should And Shouldn’t Do If You Were Bitten By A Snake?

Snakes in the pool noodles!

Apparently, some serpents found themselves a pretty comfy place to live. The City of Buckeye Fire Department in Arizona warns everybody about the carnivorous reptiles hiding inside your pool noodles. If you think it’s some kind of propaganda against pool noodles, you are wrong.

The department shares a story of the citizen, who discovered rattlesnakes were living in his pool noodles. Fortunately, no one got bitten or harmed. However, the department also warns about other reports of snakes laying their eggs in the noodles.

How to treat a snakebite?

OK, there are not many venomous types of snakes in the U.S. According to the CDC, about 7,000 people per year get poisonous bites. Unfortunately, fatal accidents still happen from time to time. It is in your best interest to know what precise steps you should follow in case of a snakebite.

1. Call 911 ASAP!

The first thing you have to do is to call 911 or Poison Control. The venom damages the protein and fat. Therefore, the longer it affects your body, the more damage it is going to cause.

2. Remember the offender.

Don’t try to catch the snake, or you risk doubling the dose of the venom! It is important, however, to remember the shape, size, and color of the reptile, so that doctors would give you the right antidote.

Carolyn Hutchins /

3. Don’t panic and try not to move.

Find a safe place and try keeping yourself calm. The venom will spread all over your body 10 times faster due to the increased pulse and blood pressure caused by stress and moving.

4. Don’t drive!

You might feel fine, but in a matter of seconds, you can go into shock. Imagine this life-threatening condition occurs when you are on your way to the hospital. The ambulance ride does seem more reasonable now, doesn’t it?

IgorVetushko /

READ ALSO: 7 Troubling Signs Of Serious Issues With Your Kidneys To Pay Attention To

5. Mark the bite.

It is a good idea to store a Sharpie in your first aid kit. Note the time of the bite and draw the circle around it. After some time, draw another circle to mark how far and fast the venom spreads.

6. No tourniquets, jewelry, or ice!

If you decide to use a tourniquet, you might as well want to know that the doctors will amputate everything below it. The tourniquet reduced the flow of blood to the affected area, thus increasing the intensity of it. The same applies to your jewelry. Take off that wedding ring right away or say goodbye to your finger. Moreover, do not apply ice to the wound. Snakebites plus ice means amputation according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

7. Don’t cut the wound.

Some aged survival guides propose slashing an X on the site of the snakebite. However, each corner of the cut gets necrotic meaning in the best-case scenario you will have a huge scar. You know the worst-case scenario though.

Patrick Rolands /

8. Don’t try to suck out the poison.

This is nothing but an old myth. It is impossible to suck out the venom, as it goes deeper into the muscles and spread within seconds. Sucking it out can only increase damage to the muscles.

Share this article with your friends to raise awareness and prevent any fatal accidents! Take care and stay healthy.

                                                                                            Source: MayoClinic, GoodHousekeeping, BestProducts

READ ALSO: Snake Season: 8 Warning Symptoms Of A Venomous Snakebite And How To Survive It

This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.