Poison Ivy Rash: How To Recognize It And What To Do To Ease The Symptoms
Have you ever heard about poison ivy? This is a plant that grows almost everywhere in North America and contacting with it may result in allergic reaction and rash. The truth is that this plant isn’t really poisonous.
However, it contains a sticky oil called urushiol that causes a blistering rash after it touches your skin. Even very slight contact can lead to a severe allergic response.
How to spot the danger
Poison ivy has three leaves: one in the center and one on each side. They typically look shiny with smooth edges. If you had an unpleasant experience with poison ivy, you know that the rash is difficult to ignore. But the rash can form within 72 hours after the contact. The symptoms often last about seven days, but in some cases, it takes more than three weeks to heal.