Music Icon Prince Died From Accidental Overdose Of Opioid Painkiller

March 28, 2018

A new report shines a light on a sudden death of the music icon Prince.


READ ALSO: 6 Strange Words Created By Legendary Prince And Meaning Behind Them

He was found dead in an elevator at his residence in 2016 and left many wonder if his abrupt passing had anything to do with drugs.

Prince Rogers Nelson, who was known for his incredible vocal range and a flamboyant stage persona, had been suffering from debilitating hip pain during his entire career. The new report found that he died from an accidental overdose of a painkiller, which is a type of synthetic opiate.


The news helped put an end to speculations about the death of the music legend, who had become a Jehovah’s Witness and had a reputation for living a clean life without alcohol and meat. He seems to develop an addiction for medications to treat his pain.


The experts, who presented a toxicology report from Prince’s autopsy, discovered that the musician had an “exceedingly high” concentration of drug fentanyl in his system when he died.

Although fentanyl is a potent drug, it is considered to be a very dangerous painkiller. Information, released by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, says that fentanyl is 50 times more potent than heroin and 100 times more powerful than morphine.


To this date, America is in the middle of a fentanyl public health crisis. Since 1959, when the drug was created, it has become widely available. But many don’t know that fentanyl is more lethal than other drugs, as even the smallest dose of 2 milligrams can be fatal.


An alerting report released by federal officials show that more than 28,000 people died from opioids, which includes painkillers, in 2014. It was also stated that incidents and overdoses with fentanyl were “occurring at an alarming rate throughout the United States.”

READ ALSO: Priscilla Presley: Revisiting Elvis’ Final Days, Drug Abuse Was ‘Difficult’