Many people have to deal with a mold problem: unpleasant stains of different sizes that eventually become a disgusting sight. But not everyone knows that the fungus has a detrimental effect on human health. Of course, before starting a fight with such a dangerous enemy, it is necessary to study the reasons for its growth in order to prevent the likelihood of its occurrence in the future.
Main reasons for the mold growth
- Inadequate or ineffective ventilation. Humid air does not come out, and so, there’s a lack of fresh air. Such conditions will very likely lead to mold occurrence.
- Cracks in the walls through which moisture enters.
- If the walls are frozen, the moisture accumulates.
Mold can cause allergic reactions and ailments, so if you are dealing with severe mold damage to the walls, it is best to seek professional help. If you decide to do it yourself, always wear safety glasses, gloves, and a mask not to harm your health.
How to kill mold?
To get rid of mold on the walls, you must follow the following steps:
- Make sure you have all tools: spray, gloves, and chemicals.
- Spray the surfaces with an anti-fungal mixture that is used for fighting mold and not preventing it.
- If humidity is the problem, get an air dryer.
It is not necessary to run to a store to buy a special remedy. Take a closer look at some of the products that may be in your household. Practice has shown that many things used for completely different purposes are suitable for fighting mold.
Vinegar. There is nothing cheaper to fight this hazard than vinegar. You just need to spray it on the areas where the first signs of the fungus appear. By adding a few drops of essential oil, you can neutralize the unpleasant smell of vinegar. Keep this bottle next to you.
Grapefruit seed extract. To prepare the solution, add about 20-25 drops of extract to 2 cups of water. Again, spray the mixture on the walls.
Bleach. You will need 1 cup of chlorine per liter of water, but don’t use this solution on porous surfaces. In addition, this chemical might be dangerous to human health.
Ammonia. Mix the water with this substance (1:1) and spray on the affected areas. In 3 hours, wash the walls thoroughly.
Peroxide. Spray peroxide on the walls, let it soak for 10 minutes, and then wash the walls. This substance is safer as compared to the bleach and does not have a pungent smell.
But remember: do not mix different cleaning products as their interaction can cause a dangerous chemical reaction!
We hope you found these tips and tricks useful!
This material is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the products and items discussed in this article may cause an allergic reaction and damage your health. Before use, consult a certified technician/specialist. The editorial board is not responsible for any harm or other consequences that may be caused by the use of the methods, products or items described in this article.