Warning To Parents: 5-Year-Old Got A Dangerous Disease After A Tick Bite, And His Mom Took To Facebook To Spread Awareness

Date June 12, 2018 17:12

We all know by now that getting bitten by a tick may lead to Lyme disease. But this is not the only serious bacterial disease the sneaky bloodsuckers can cause. Among them is Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF), which can be difficult to diagnose and becomes life-threatening if not treated properly.

One mom from Georgia had the biggest scare in her life when her son contracted RMSF and wasn’t diagnosed correctly until she did her own research and pointed out the disease to his doctors. Now, the woman is doing all she can to spread awareness about RMSF and proper protection from ticks.

Jarabogu /

READ ALSO: Lyme Disease: Symptoms, Prevention, And Complications

Mason’s story

Danielle McNair’s 5-year-old son, Mason, was at his grandparents’ place, preparing to take a bath. His granny and grandpa noticed a tick in the boy’s belly button. They took the insect out, but Mason developed signs of infection. The next day, his family took him to the hospital where he was prescribed antibiotics and sent home.

Treatment with antibiotics seemed to work, but on the tenth day, – the last day of his antibiotics course – Mason developed fever, fatigue, stomach pain, diarrhea, and a rash. After several hours, the rash spread. Mason’s doctor said it was just a delayed reaction to the antibiotics. But Danielle had a feeling things were much more serious.

READ ALSO: Watch Out For Kissing Bugs: They Spread Chagas Disease, A Dangerous Parasitic Infection. Here Are Warning Symptoms To Pay Attention To

The concerned mother did her own research with the help from her sister and realized her son could have Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Danielle alerted her son's doctors to her findings, and they determined Mason indeed had RMSF. After the boy finally received the correct diagnosis, he was given the right antibiotic: doxycycline. Thanks to his mother's vigilance, the 5-year-old is healthy now.

After the family’s ordeal was over, Danielle took to Facebook and wrote a post to help as many people as possible learn about RMSF and its dangers:

Why is RMSF dangerous?

Rocky Mountain spotted fever is relatively rare. The disease can cause symptoms that overlap with those of many other infections, which is why it may be difficult to diagnose. If left untreated, RMSF can lead to kidney failure, inflammation of the heart, lungs, or brain, amputation, and even death. To prevent the disease, protect yourself, your children, and your pets from ticks.

Schlegelfotos /

If you want to learn more about RMSF, get your information from a trusted source, such as the CDC.

Source: TODAY, Fox News, Mayo Clinic

READ ALSO: Be Aware Of A Summer "Tick Explosion": 4 Easy And Effective Tips To Keep Yourself Safe

This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.

Facebook War