Kentucky Toddler Stuck A Plugged-In Phone Charger Into Her Mouth And Got A Horrifying Burn That Needed Surgery

Mom warns other parents after her toddler got a severe burn from a charger

Toddlers are quick and curious, and if you have a child of that age, an accident can happen in a split second even in a seemingly safe environment. This is the fact that one Kentucky mom found out the hard way. And now, she’s trying to warn other parents about the kind of accident that happened to her daughter when she was 19 months old.

READ ALSO: Mother Of A 7-Month-Old Baby Warns Other Parents After Her Son's Pacifier Left Severe Burns On His Face

September 28, 2017, was a hectic day for Courtney Davis. The mom of then-19-month-old Gabby normally doesn’t leave chargers plugged in within her daughter’s reach, but that’s what happened that day.

As it often happens, Courtney turned away for one split second, but that was all it took for Gabby to stick the charger into her mouth and get a severe burn.

The burn was bad enough for the little girl to need surgery on the corner of her mouth, and several laser treatments to minimize the scar.

Courtney took to Facebook to warn other parents against leaving chargers within children’s reach. She attached a few photos of her daughter’s recovery progress, but they are too painful to even look at.

This mom’s message is quite simple and clear: Don’t leave chargers, especially plugged-in chargers, anywhere your children can get their hands on them.

Kentucky Toddler Stuck A Plugged-In Phone Charger Into Her Mouth And Got A Horrifying Burn That Needed SurgeryKentucky Toddler Stuck A Plugged-In Phone Charger Into Her Mouth And Got A Horrifying Burn That Needed SurgeryMadiz / Shutterstock.com

READ ALSO: Mom Shares Photos Of Her Son's Severe Burn To Remind Every Parent How Dangerous Hot Drinks Are For Babies

A few charger safety tips

To lower the risk of charger-related accidents, the following can help:

  1. Don’t use generic chargers bought from auction sites or other unreliable sources. Generic chargers often don’t conform to safety standards. Use only brand-name chargers designed specifically for the products you use (these often come with the products).
  2. Avoid leaving your devices to charge overnight.
  3. Avoid overloading sockets.
  4. Child-proof all electrical outlets in your home if you have a young child.
  5. Keep chargers out of your child’s reach, even when they are not in use.

Kentucky Toddler Stuck A Plugged-In Phone Charger Into Her Mouth And Got A Horrifying Burn That Needed SurgeryKentucky Toddler Stuck A Plugged-In Phone Charger Into Her Mouth And Got A Horrifying Burn That Needed SurgeryDAMRONG RATTANAPONG / Shutterstock.com

Electrical burns are as painful as they look. And, as Courtney implied in her post, they can be deadly:

My daughter was lucky the next kid may not be as lucky as her.

Keep your kids safe!

READ ALSO: It's Not A Myth: Firefighters Warn About The Danger Of Leaving The Cell Phone Near The Bed