This Mom Hasn't Washed Her Hair For 8 Months: She Says It Never Looked Better
July 3, 2018 15:28 By Fabiosa
How often do you wash your hair? Probably, the longest most of us can go without proper wash is a week, but many use a shampoo every other day.
What if we told there are people, who live without washing their hair for up to 8 months?
READ ALSO: How Not To Wash Your Hair: 8 Common Mistakes
Meet Virginia Tapp, a woman who left her shampoo behind a long time ago and never looked back.
No shampoo, no regrets
Virginia decided to try a 'no poo' (shampoo) movement eight months ago and has been documenting her experience in personal blog.
This is what we look like 98% of the time. The other 2% of the time is what usually appears on my carefully curated social media accounts which I use to make me appear as hipster as humanly possible. I’m not hip. I have melt downs several times a week which are mostly triggered by hunger, my kids crying or whinging and sometimes even my long suffering husband when he tells me I’m using the pressure cooker incorrectly. I do stupid, stupid things on the daily, like I recently got my child vaccinated 3 weeks early because I don’t understand how months and weeks work very well. I’m hopelessly addicted to my phone and lie awake at night worrying how my phone use will impact their tiny little brains. Those home truths aside, I love this photo because we’re sitting in an extremely ugly second hand armchair I’ve used to nurse both those babies. That chair is soaked with breastmilk and tears. I also love it because it shows part of the messy work desk in the background. Our house which will never be truly clean because we live here. I’ve decided to try and post more photos of our real life because fake Instagram accounts contribute to low self esteem and poor mental health. ✌🏼#keepinitreal #instafake #instanormal #nofilter
She cut out shampoo, conditioner, and hair dyes from her shower routine. Virginia explained she started her experiement largely for the environement:
In a nutshell, I started doing this because I wanted to use less stuff on my body and send less stuff down the drain.
27-year-old mom said she didn't notice much change in her hair apart from some oiliness. But she did use a homemade concoction to keep it clean:
I scrubbed my scalp with one tablespoon of bicarb soda dissolved in a cup of warm water.
“Women have careers but we also have periods and boobs and bellies that carry children. We are such gifted creatures and it complicates things no end. At some point you will have to choose, if only for a little while. More is expected of you but you are built stronger because of this. The sooner you realise that the less angry you’ll be.” Link to full post in bio. Photo credit: @tappy1001
Apparently, this method did wonders for Virginia, as she was very happy with how her hair looks. In addition, after a while, oiliness was gone, and she was left with a fresh head of hair.
She's not planning to go back to shampoo, as her way is working exceptionally well for her:
If anything, I actually get less knots now. My hair is neither oily or dry. It doesn't smell like Palmolive, but it doesn't smell like sour milk either. It just smells like hair.
When it just works. You could put Elke on the end of a garden hose and I reckon she would have a drink. In this photo I’ve just finished yelling at Oscar for whacking the dog with the shovel and Elke has fed right through it. We were in the back yard with the sprinklers on and she was ready for a feed so I just popped her on. As someone who had a terrible breastfeeding experience with my first, having latching issues and using a nipple shield for 10 long months, I am appreciating every minute of her. She’s the expert. So instinctive and I just let her do her thing. Shout out to all the Mum’s out there flopping a boob out all day and all night because it’s really hard sometimes, but every baby is different and every day is a new one. Keep going! Breastfeeding is one of the most precious things we can give our babies. If you can’t keep going, that’s okay too. Kids need happy mums most of all! #fedisbest #boobsout
People aren't convinced
Despite seemingly good results and Virginia's satisfaction, the people aren't fans of her methods and question it's effectiveness.
Does that go for her teeth too by the looks of it??— Nothing but the truth (@alisweetcheeks) 2 июля 2018 г.
The smell though..— Caz (@cazyp) 3 июля 2018 г.
Should have gone to spec savers.— ROSS (@ewebb53) 2 июля 2018 г.
What do you think about this? Would you ever try ditching shampoo?