Mother Begs Other Parents Not To Repeat Her Mistake After Her 9-Month-Old Baby Died From C

Mother Begs Other Parents Not To Repeat Her Mistake After Her 9-Month-Old Baby Died From Choking On A Balloon

Family & Kids

August 21, 2018 09:34 By Fabiosa

It’s always better to prevent a tragedy than to deal with its sad consequences. A grieving mother shared her story to warn other parents after her baby lost his life from choking on a balloon.

ND Studios / Shutterstock.com

Katie tells her sad story

Katie Chamberlain from Indianapolis was enjoying a sunny day together with her kids. Children played by filling up balloons.

READ ALSO: 15-Month-Old Baby Dies After Her Mother’s Pain Relief Patch Stuck To Her Skin As They Slept In The Same Bed

Her 9-month-old son Justin choked on a balloon when he accidentally had swallowed one. It all happened in a couple of seconds. Little Justin turned blue and began suffocating.

Katie immediately rushed to the rescue but couldn’t save the child. Chamberlain recalled that moment to ABC News:

It was just so fast. I couldn't even get to him fast enough before the balloon was gone and he couldn't breathe anymore.

After the tragedy, Katie decided to share her story to make sure any other family would not face a similar experience. The loss mother begged other parents not to repeat her mistake for the sake of their own kids.

Kids deaths from toy balloons: sad statistics

According to the US National Library of Medicine, at least 121 children have died from suffocation by rubber balloons in the 15 years between 1973 and 1988.

READ ALSO: Warning! Pepperidge Farm Recalls Goldfish Crackers Due To Salmonella Risk. How To Recognize This Dangerous Condition?

Irma Litina / Shutterstock.com

The highest mortality occurred among infants, 25% of deaths occurred in children 6 years of age or older.

So, how to prevent a tragedy until it’s too late? Here is what all parents should know.

Tim Allan / Shutterstock.com

Important to know for all parents!

A tragedy may occur when a child who is blowing up the balloon takes a breath to prepare for the next blow and draws the balloon back into the mouth. It may result in suffocation and sudden death.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends that adults should not allow children under the age of eight to play with rubber balloons without supervision.

Also, if the balloon breaks, CPSC recommends to collect its pieces as soon as possible and take them out of the reach of your children.

Dear parents, please never neglect safety rules and make sure to supervise your kids when they play with toy balloons.  

READ ALSO: Check Pacifiers Before Each Use! Dad Warns Other Parents After His Baby Daughter Nearly Choked To Death