PSYCHOLOGY

Man Lost His Beloved Cat Because Of A Toxic Shampoo. Now He Warns Other Owners About The Hidden Danger

Date August 13, 2018 16:49

Cats and dogs are not just our furry friends, they are like the family members. That is why it hurts so much when something bad happens to them.

We take care of our pets, pay a special attention to their nutrition, and have no idea that a fatal danger is hidden in a seem-to-be-safe shampoo.

ANURAK / Shutterstock.com

Man shares his sad story of a cat loss

Every pet owner’s nightmare is to lose his/her furry friend due to a common mistake. Have you ever heard about a cat poisoning from a shampoo? Unfortunately, it is not a rare case when a pet dies from a sudden poisoning.

READ ALSO: Think You Are A Cat Person? These Are The Common Misconceptions And Facts About Cats

Yellowj / Shutterstock.com

This man lost his beloved cat, Zayka, after washing him with a toxic shampoo. Artem released a Facebook post to warn other owners about the hidden danger.

Аrtem Zayats / Facebook

Artem washed his cat with a shampoo which contained a toxic chemical, permethrin. The man carefully read the instruction on the shampoo bottle but it said nothing about the ‘poison’ inside that could hurt a pet.

The only precaution written on the shampoo bottle was to follow the proper dosage. But how to understand what ‘the proper dosage” is?! A lucky guess?

The cat died from poisoning. Artem still can’t deal with this sad loss. But how to save your cat in a similar situation? What should you know to prevent a tragedy? Here is some important information to remember for all cat owners.

How to save your pet from toxic substances

Permethrin poisoning is one of the most commonly reported poisonings among cats because they are more sensitive to this chemical than other animals.

READ ALSO: Nutmeg, The World's Oldest Cat, Passed Away At 32. It Equals To 144 In Cat Years

Sushitsky Sergey / Shutterstock.com

Some manufacturers add permethrin into flea shampoos because it’s a good insect killer. But what if it kills not only fleas but our pets too?!

Common signs of toxic poisoning include:

  • fever;
  • muscle tremors;
  • seizures;
  • loss of appetite;
  • incoordination.

Between 10% and 40% of poisoned cats may die because of the severity of poisoning.

If you suspect your cat has come into contact with a toxic shampoo, take the pet to a veterinarian immediately.

Cats may require several days of treatment in the clinic including temperature monitoring and other nursing care.

Washing of a cat with lukewarm water and a mild detergent to remove as much of the product as possible can stop further absorption through the skin. In some severe cases, cats can be treated with special intravenous lipid infusions.  

An important advice for all cat owners!

In case you buy a cat shampoo for the first time, address to a vet clinic and ask a specialist to make sure this particular brand is safe for your pet.​​​​​​​

We hope this information will be useful for all pet owners. Take care of your little friends.

READ ALSO: These Signs Show If A Cat Is Happy Or Not


This article is solely for informational purposes. Before using any of the information provided above, consult a certified specialist. Use of the information outlined above can be harmful to health. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for harm or other consequences that may result from the use of the information provided above.

War