Everyday Heroes: 14-Month-Old Florida Baby Almost Choked To Death On A Chicken Nugget, But Two Mall Cops Saved Her

Florida cops saved a choking baby

Police aren’t just crime fighters. As other first responders, policemen and policewomen are trained in first aid, and that skill often comes in handy.

Ana Graham, a young mom from Palm Beach Gardens, was at the mall, eating chicken nuggets with her son and daughter. Ana’s daughter, 14-month-old Lucia, has been eating solid foods for quite some time, so a chicken nugget was not supposed to be a problem food for her.

ABC News / YouTube

READ ALSO: Uncut Grapes Are A Serious Choking Hazard: Blogger Mom Warns Other Parents Using A Harrowing X-Ray Pic

Suddenly, Lucia started choking. Her mother immediately started giving her back blows, but the piece of chicken nugget was still stuck in the girl’s throat and she couldn’t breathe.

 

Публикация от ABC News (@abcnews)

Officers Robert Ayala and Rafael Guadalupe, who were sitting nearby, saw what was happening and quickly came to the rescue. Ayala took the baby girl and delivered several back blows while his colleague called for Palm Beach Gardens Fire Rescue.

ABC News / YouTube

Ayala gave the girl a few more back blows, and, finally, the piece of nugget became unstuck and Lucia spat it out. Everyone breathed out a huge sigh of relief.

Ayala and Guadalupe were honored for saving Lucia’s life at a Palm Beach Gardens City Council meeting, the Palm Beach Post reported. The Graham family was there, too, and they expressed their heartfelt thanks.

ABC News / YouTube

READ ALSO: Hair Clips Are A Choking Hazard! New Zealand Mom Warns Other Parents After Her Baby Daughter Nearly Choked

How to lower the risk of choking in babies

Babies are prone to choking for several reasons. First, their airways are narrow, so it’s easy for something to get stuck there. Second, it takes time for them to learn how to chew and swallow properly. In addition to that, babies can’t cough as forcefully as adults can to push an object out of their airway. Also, babies like to put various small objects into their mouths, and that can cause choking.

Daniel Vitek / Shutterstock.com

To minimize the risk of choking in babies, the Mayo Clinic recommends the following:

  • don’t give solid foods to very young babies; you may start giving your baby mashed solid foods once he or she is at least 4 months old;
  • if you want to give your baby solid foods such as grapes and other fruits, raw vegetables, or hard cheese, you should cut them into very small pieces first;
  • don’t give babies marshmallows, peanut butter, seeds, nuts, popcorn, and chewing gum;
  • if you have a toddler or an older child, make sure he or she is not distracted when eating, and don’t let him or he eat when running, walking, or playing;
  • give your babies only age-appropriate toys to prevent them from choking on small toy parts;
  • keep anything that may be a choking hazard (such as coins and button batteries) in places where your child can’t reach these items.

These rules are simple, and they may seem obvious, but they can save your child’s life.

READ ALSO: First Aid Basics: What To Do If Someone Is Choking


This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.

We recommend