LIFESTYLE & COMMUNITY

4-Year-Old Welsh Girl Developed A Foot Infection And Life-Threatening Sepsis After Shoe Shopping, Her Mom Says

Date August 31, 2018 16:52

A 4-year-old from Wales almost died as a result of sepsis

Shoe shopping is a fun thing to do, regardless of your age. All women and girls enjoy trying on new shoes and going from shop to shop searching for the perfect pair. But sometimes, this fun experience can land you in the hospital, one mom from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, says.

Jodie Thomas was shoe shopping with her 4-year-old daughter, Sienna. The girl was wearing sandals and didn’t have socks on, so she tried on shoes on her bare feet.

READ ALSO: 4-Year-Old Kierken Nearly Dies Because Of Strep Throat When His Parents Thought It Was Croup

The day after their shopping trip, Sienna started to feel really unwell. Jodie immediately took her daughter to the hospital, where the girl was diagnosed with sepsis. According to doctors, it developed as a result of a foot infection.

Fortunately, Jodie brought her daughter to the hospital in time. She told The Daily Mirror:

I drove her straight in to hospital, she was shaking and twitching – it was horrible to see my little girl like that.

They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate.

But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the anti-biotic drip will do the job.

Sienna is doing fine now, and her mom is urging other parents to always put socks on their children’s feet before trying on new shoes.

Dr. Ron Daniels, Chief executive of the UK Sepsis Trust, told The Daily Mirror:

This frightening case shows us that sepsis strikes indiscriminately and can affect anyone at any time.

But he also pointed out that the girl probably had already had a breach in the skin on her foot before trying on the shoes. What does it mean? It means the infection could enter the girl’s body at some point before or after her shopping trip, so we can’t definitively say how she developed a foot infection and sepsis.

Anyway, the most important thing here is the fact that she received life-saving treatment with antibiotics and will be fine.

READ ALSO: What Might Nail Biting Habit Lead To? Man Nearly Loses His Life After Doing This!

How to prevent foot infections

Foot infections are commonly caused by fungi or bacteria. In most cases, this type of infection can be easily treated, but they are likely to be serious and cause complications in people with diabetes, peripheral artery disease, and any condition that affects blood circulation and nerve function in the feet. Also, people whose immune system is weakened are more susceptible to serious foot infections.

If you develop a foot infection, you may notice the following signs and symptoms:

  • throbbing pain;
  • swelling;
  • redness;
  • warmth;
  • pus.

If your foot is affected by these symptoms, see your doctor as soon as you can to prevent the infection from spreading.

Here’s what you can do to lower your risk of developing a foot infection:

  1. Avoid foot injuries, such as cuts, puncture wounds, bites, or burns. If there’s an injury that broke the skin, wash the area and bandage it with sterile gauze. Keep the wound clean and check it for signs of infection several times a day.
  2. Trim your toenails correctly, using clean scissors or clippers.
  3. Get pedicure only at licensed salons.
  4. Wear well-fitting shoes and socks made from natural fabrics, such as cotton or linen.
  5. Wear breathable shoes when it’s warm outside. In cold month, keep your shoes dry.
  6. Don’t walk barefoot in public places, such as pools.
  7. Keep your home clean, especially if you walk barefoot.
  8. Wash your feet daily, and dry them thoroughly afterwards.
  9. If you have diabetes, peripheral artery disease, or other issues with circulation and nerve function, inspect your feet daily to make sure there’s no injury.

namtipStudio / Shutterstock.com

What happened to Sienna is a highly unlikely situation, and it’s not clear how exactly it happened, but we’d like to add one more foot hygiene rule: always put on socks before trying on new shoes.

READ ALSO: Meningococcal Disease: Young Woman Nearly Lost Her Life To An Often-Fatal Infection She Thought Was Just The Flu


This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.

Shopping