Don't Give Your Babies Teething Beads, Warns One Australian Mom Whose Baby Daughter Nearly Choked To Death On This Product

Lifestyle & Health

November 28, 2018 19:43 By Fabiosa

Do you know what button batteries, coins, hair clips, and grapes have in common? All these are choking hazards! Actually, anything that is small enough to fit into a child’s mouth but large enough to block his or her throat partially or completely is a choking hazard. Sometimes, even things that were designed for children to put into their mouths can pose a threat.

Don't Give Your Babies Teething Beads, Warns One Australian Mom Whose Baby Daughter Nearly Choked To Death On This ProductOle_CNX / Shutterstock.com

READ ALSO: Uncut Grapes Are A Serious Choking Hazard: Blogger Mom Warns Other Parents Using A Harrowing X-Ray Pic

Kahla Hilton recounts "the scariest day of her life"

Kahla Hilton, a mom from Wagga Wagga, Australia, went out to lunch with her friend. Her baby daughter, Lukah, was with her.

Kahla was chatting with her friend, and then she noticed something was in her daughter’s mouth. The woman quickly realized her baby was choking on a bead from her teething garland.

The mom went into a panic mode and screamed. Other visitors of the café rushed to help, and the owner called emergency services.

One man heard the desperate mother screaming, rushed across the parking lot, took baby Lukah, put her on his knee and started giving her back blows. The bead was dislodged and Lukah could breathe again.

As Kahla explained in a Facebook post, the man who saved her daughter was in the military, so he knew exactly what to do.

The baby girl is doing fine now. Kahla wrote a Facebook post to caution other parents about the potential danger of teething beads.

READ ALSO: Mother Begs Other Parents Not To Repeat Her Mistake After Her 9-Month-Old Baby Died From Choking On A Balloon

Better ways to soothe a teething baby

The choking incident described above goes on to show that teething beads are unsafe for babies. This is especially true for teething necklaces, as they are meant to be worn around the neck or on the wrist, and they have the added risk of strangulation.

 

A post shared by 🦓🦓🦓 (@trezebror) on

According to HealthyChildren.org, there are safer alternatives to soothe teething babies. These include:

  • chew toys in the form of one-piece items that are too large to get stuck in a child’s throat;
  • cold things;
  • gently massaging the baby’s gums;
  • medicines, such as acetaminophen (check with your baby’s pediatrician first before giving him or her ANY medicine).

How to lower the risk of choking in babies and toddlers

Babies and toddlers are especially prone to choking, as their airways are narrow and they may not be able to chew well. Also, they like to put small objects into their mouths.

Don't Give Your Babies Teething Beads, Warns One Australian Mom Whose Baby Daughter Nearly Choked To Death On This Productpolice officer saves choking babynarin phapnam / Shutterstock.com

Here are a few tips to lower the risk of choking in this age group:

1. A child should eat while sitting and without any distractions. Don’t let your child eat while talking, running, jumping, or riding in the car.

2. Some foods that shouldn’t be given to children younger than 4 years include nuts, seeds, popcorn, caramel, hard candy, spoonfuls of peanut butter, large pieces of raw fruits and vegetables, cheese cubes, sausages, and grapes. Make sure any solid foods are cut into small pieces before giving them to your little one.

3. Make sure that small items, such as coins, bottle caps, button batteries, erasers, jewelry, marbles, balloons, and other small things are out of your child’s reach. Always check the floor and every place in your home that your child can reach to make sure these items aren’t lying there.

4. Give your child only age-appropriate toys.

5. Learn how to administer first aid, just in case.

These are simple steps, but their can save your child’s life!

READ ALSO: Everyday Heroes: 14-Month-Old Florida Baby Almost Choked To Death On A Chicken Nugget, But Two Mall Cops Saved Her


This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.

Babies War