Dangers Of Laundry Pods: Mom Warns Other Parents After Her Toddler Bit Though A Pod And Ended Up In The ER
August 2, 2018 09:18 By Fabiosa
Laundry detergent pods have become quite popular since they first appeared on the market almost a decade ago. They are convenient and easy to use, but if you have a small child, you may want to stick to good old washing powder or bottled liquid detergent. Below, we explain why…
Africa Studio / Shutterstock.com
Keara Earnest, young mom from Colorado, was going to do laundry before dinner. Her 20-month-old daughter Maggie was in her arms, under her watchful eye. If you are a parent, then you know a young child can get into trouble in a blink of an eye, and that’s exactly what happened.
Maggie stuck her hand in the box with laundry pods, took one out, quickly put it in her mouth, and bit through it. The girl started vomiting, and her family immediately took her to the ER.
Thankfully, the incident didn’t cause any lasting harm to Maggie’s health, and she’s doing fine now. Her mom said they stopped using laundry pods after the horrifying experience.
Accidents of this kind happen more often than you may think. CBS News cited a study published in Pediatrics, and it showed alarming figures: 17,230 children under age 6 swallowed, inhaled, or suffered skin or eye injury from laundry pods in 2012-2013. That’s one child every hour!
oksana2010 / Shutterstock.com
Laundry pods carry a higher risk of poisoning as well as skin and eye injury in young children compared to other forms of laundry detergent and other household chemicals. That’s because pods may look like candy, juice, or toys to little ones, and they happily put these things into their mouths.
Olesia Bilkei / Shutterstock.com
What should you do to prevent laundry pods from causing harm to your children? The answer is simple: don’t use them. If you choose to continue doing laundry with pods, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- store the pods in a locked cabinet out of your child’s reach;
- put pod containers (or packages) back where you store them right after use;
- keep the number of Poison Control helpline readily available (the U.S. national number is 1-800-222-1222).