3-Year-Old Girl Got Trapped Inside A Washing Machine That Was Filling With Water. Mother Warns Other Parents About The Danger

Date July 17, 2018

This mother’s story is a must-read not only because it can happen to anyone, but because it is extremely frightening, yet totally preventable. Lindsey McIver opens up about the horrifying accident that happened just recently.

READ ALSO: Bewildered Mom Shares A Photo To Warn Other Parents About One Odd Symptom Of Serious Condition

Locked inside a washer

The family had just bought a new front load washing machine and spent an evening installing it. The parents told their kids not to touch it several times to ensure they understood. But the next morning, they woke up to their son’s screams. The 4-year-old boy was in the state of panic and could barely talk. The husband rushed to the basement, where the laundry room was. The dad was able to say only three words:

Kloe. Inside. Washer.

The 3-year-old girl was locked inside the airtight washing machine, which was ON! The washer was tumbling and filling with water. Needless to say, a child cannot survive in such conditions for long. The girl was screaming, but there was no sound. Fortunately, the parents came just in time to stop and unlock the washing machine. Apart from several bruises, the girl was fine. However, the worried mother couldn’t stop thinking about all the “could have’s” and decided to write her story down to warn every parent:

I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine. We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one.

READ ALSO: Don't Let People Kiss Your Baby: Woman Shares The Photos Of Her Sick Baby To Warn Other Parents

5 tips on laundry room safety

Experts share 5 basic rules to follow that can help you keep your kids safe, as there are more dangerous scenarios in addition to the one that happened to Lindsey McIver’s daughter.

  1. It is important to keep laundry detergent out of children’s reach and even sight. Ever heard of Tide pods consumption? You don’t want your child to die because of laundry detergent ingestion!
  2. Lindsey McIver didn’t use the child safety lock at first, and now she warns everybody to keep the setting on, as it can prevent curious children from getting inside the machine and becoming trapped there.
  3. Pay attention to the place around your washing machine. The manual says how much clearance your washing machine requires. Keep it as tight as possible, so that your child wouldn’t be able to fit there.
  4. Keep your child away when pre-treating laundry. A basin with a chemical solution can be easily knocked over by a kid, splashing into their eyes, mouth, and skin.
  5. Another recommended preventative measure is using a child lock on the laundry room, so that your little one cannot enter and get into trouble.

We thank Lindsey McIver for sharing her terrifying story to raise awareness among other parents. We believe that it takes a lot of courage to admit your mistakes as a parent. Thankfully, we can now learn from Lindsey and her husband’s mistake and prevent similar events from happening.

READ ALSO: "My Biggest Regret In Life." Grieving Mother Warns All Parents After Her Little Girl Was Suffocated To Death By A Cuddly Toy

War Washing Machine