Intertrigo: 4 Symptoms Of Annoying Summer Skin Infection And How To Prevent It
June 8, 2018 16:05 By Fabiosa
Have you ever heard of intertrigo? It is a medical term for an inflammatory condition that affects parts of the skin that are often in contact with each other like the armpits, groin, under the breast, skin folds, between the toes, etc. Basically, it is an irritant dermatitis that causes skin rashes and is often accompanied by a bacterial or yeast (f.e. the Candida fungus) infection. It is a very common condition, especially during summer.
What causes intertrigo?
Since intertrigo is an inflammatory skin condition, there are certain factors that can cause and even worsen it, because they create a wonderful environment for germs. Such factors include:
- moisture (especially sweat);
- continuous friction between skin folds;
- lack of air circulation.
What are the risk factors?
Typically, the risk factors below can contribute to the development of the disease. Also, people with type 2 diabetes are predisposed to getting intertrigo. It is recommended to undergo regular check-ups and minimize the risk factors, including:
- tight clothes;
- poor hygiene;
- excessive weight (it can form skin folds);
- using specific antibiotics and corticosteroids (consult with a dermatologist);
- weak immune system.
Albina Glisic / Shutterstock.com
What are the symptoms?
Considering the fact that skin issues are not rare, you have to know the specific symptoms of intertrigo to identify it, or at least to visit your dermatologist. The common symptoms include:
- reddish, sometimes brownish rash;
- raw, itchy, sometimes oozing skin;
- if untreated, intertrigo can cause a musty smell;
- scaly skin.
Khaoniewping / Shutterstock.com
How to prevent intertrigo?
The condition often occurs in infants as well as adults, and you can prevent it with these simple rules:
- Shower thoroughly at least once a day (twice in the summer). It is also important to keep your skin dry and cool.
- Try not to wear tight clothes, as they can increase the temperature and cause friction, thus contributing to the development of intertrigo.
- Strong support is the most needed quality in bras. Avoid wearing bras with weak support.
- The disease can occur in infants due to infrequent change of diapers. Do it more often.
- Losing weight is a good idea to get rid of skin folds that can potentially cause an infection.
Good hygiene is a must if you want your skin to be healthy. Don’t forget, though, it is recommended to use natural remedies for skin care. Take care and stay healthy!
This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.