LIFESTYLE & COMMUNITY

Danger Under Socks: Worried Dad Warns Every Parent About About Horrible Common Condition That Happened To His Girl

Date July 24, 2018 18:15

It feels like being a parent is indeed the toughest job in the world, but totally the highest-paid (obviously not in the form of currency) one. The most difficult part of being a parent is the necessity to watch over your child 24/7 to prevent all the possible dangers that might happen. Scott Walker shares his parenting experience with other “colleagues” to raise awareness about what seems to be a petty common condition – hair tourniquet, or also known as toe tourniquet.

READ ALSO: Bewildered Mom Shares A Photo To Warn Other Parents About One Odd Symptom Of Serious Condition

What happened?

The story happened back in January 2016. Scott Walker was with his little daughter Molly over the family lunch. The infant was a bit cranky and screamy as usual, so the father wasn’t expecting anything bad to happen. The parents noticed, however, that the girl started to overheat and took off her socks. That’s when they saw a scary view: a strand of hair was wrapped around her little toe, which had already caused huge swelling and redness.

Luckily, Jessica Laubhan, the mother, is a registered nurse, or according to her husband, has “medical emergency superpowers.” So Jessica was able to coop with the situation easily. She removed the hair with the help of a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers. The photo was taken around 45 minutes after the incident:

PK.Phuket studio / Shutterstock.com

Scott tries to raise awareness among other parents and parents-to-be:

The doctor told me, for future reference, to always check the toes if the baby is inconsolable. Just an FYI to any parents or care takers out there.

READ ALSO: Don't Let People Kiss Your Baby: Woman Shares The Photos Of Her Sick Baby To Warn Other Parents

How to properly remove a hair tourniquet?

The easiest way to deal with the issue is to apply a depilatory cream. However, it cannot be used if the affected area is bleeding or broken. In this case:

  1. Rule number 1 is to have good lighting. You may even want to use a flashlight. Having a magnifying glass can also help you to see the hair more clearly.
  2. Apply a disinfectant (for instance, hydrogen peroxide) to the affected area and the tweezers.
  3. Remove the hair with the help of the tweezers. And apply the disinfectant to the skin once more.
  4. If the area is too swollen and you failed to remove the hair, it is important to take your baby to a doctor immediately.

PHOTOCREO Michal Bednarek / Shutterstock.com

We thank Scott Walker for sharing his story and hope that this article will help parents to prevent any complications caused by a hair tourniquet.

READ ALSO: 3-Year-Old Girl Got Trapped Inside A Washing Machine That Was Filling With Water. Mother Warns Other Parents About The Danger


This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.

War