Embassy Suites by Hilton was recently hit with a lawsuit over a "small" problem - bed bugs. These pests may be physically tiny, but they can wreak havoc. No one knows this better than Brazilian model Sabrina Jales St. Pierre, who filed a damning lawsuit against the hotel.
Sabrina Jales St. Pierre: bedbug victim
The model claims she was bitten by the pests and then suffered an allergic reaction which affected her ability to work. What was supposed to be a relaxing vacation turned into a nightmare filled with emotional distress, she says.
Africa Studio / Shutterstock.com
Bed bugs could be closer than you think
Unfortunately, hotels are not the only place where you can encounter the critters. Bed bugs can be anywhere - they might be in your home right now! What many people don't realize is that these insects are highly adaptive. Infestations are possible with a single encounter and spread rapidly.
Mariia Masich / Shutterstock.com
These insects can survive for several months without a food source, so waiting them out is impossible. The first step to eliminating them is finding potential places they might be hiding in your home. For example, they can be found inside of or around beds, within the seams of your mattress, even inside cracks in the frame or headboard.
fizkes / Shutterstock.com
Cozy hiding places include:
- electrical appliances;
- underneath wallpaper;
- contact points between the ceiling walls;
- chair seams and curtain folds;
- even in the head of a screw!
priia studio / Shutterstock.com
Don't panic! You can protect your home with these steps
- make sure you reducing clutters in the house;
- ensure that any second-hand furniture is thoroughly checked for signs of infestation;
- use protective covering for your mattress;
- keep your home clean and tidy;
- be wary of public laundry services and take proper precautions;
- seek professional help for large infestations.
namtipStudio / Shutterstock.com
Sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite!
Have you suffered from an insect infestation? Or know someone who has? Share your experience in the comments!