NEWS

Florida Teen Was Hospitalized And In Shock For An Hour After Getting Bitten By Venomous Caterpillar

Date June 25, 2018 17:06

Caterpillars are very interesting creatures that are sometimes pleasant to look at. But not all of them are safe to handle, and one teenager in Land O'Lakes, Florida found out the hard way. Logan Pergola was doing some volunteer landscaping work with his family on Saturday at 10:15 a.m when he brushed against a caterpillar.

READ ALSO: Be Aware Of Jellyfish: Why They Can Be Dangerous, And What To Do After Getting Stung ASAP

His mother, Andrea Pergola, shared the story on Facebook, and according to her, her son did not think much about the incident. However, what happened next was quite bizarre.

He instantly felt a sharp, stinging pain and his arm went numb. Within 5 minutes he was dizzy, had lost color, was complaining of the worst pain he had ever felt & his eyes weren't super focused. We tried to wash it off and I applied some garlic (it pulls venom out usually with bug stings).

Logan’s condition deteriorated. She immediately rushed him to the hospital in Zephyrhills. By the time he got there, he was unable to walk. Doctors immediately attended to the boy in the emergency room, and he was injected with an IV. By this time, he was suffering tremors already.

The pain [was] radiating from his wrist, up his arm & into his shoulder and chest," she said, adding that a rash also spread on his arm and chest.

It took about an hour before the medication kicked in, and Logan was stabilized. Neither the teenager nor his mother ever believed that coming in contact with a seemingly harmless caterpillar would cause so much harm.

The concerned mother shared a picture of the dangerous caterpillar alongside a photo of her son’s arm showing the part the creature came in contact with.

READ ALSO: Warning To Parents: 5-Year-Old Got A Dangerous Disease After A Tick Bite, And His Mom Took To Facebook To Spread Awareness

Logan actually came across a southern flannel moth caterpillar, a species that carries particularly dangerous venom. Reactions include itching and a burning sensation, but it varies from patient to patient. Some people may experience more extreme side effects.

If ever you come in contact with one of these creatures, there are ways to immediately attend to the situation. First, apply some scotch tape to the area several times and strip it off. This will remove any spikes stuck in the skin.

Emily frost / Shutterstock.com

Ice packs should also be applied to reduce stinging sensation. While no deaths have been recorded from caterpillar stings, it is always advisable to consult a physician after an encounter, even if first aid seems to have reduced the side effects.

READ ALSO: Learn How To Use Natural Means To Say 'Goodbye!' To The Bees Near Your House


This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.