NEWS

15-Year-Old Girl Died After Eating A Baguette In Heathrow Airport. The Reason Is Deeply Outrageous

Date September 25, 2018

Sesame seed allergy is very common. More so, in the past 10 years, it has been estimated that the allergy to sesame protein affects 1 in 100 people.

undefinede_food / Shutterstock.com

READ ALSO: Girl With Peanut Allergy Ate Cookie She Thought Was "Safe" For Her. Now, Her Mom Raises Awareness

Symptoms can occur right after eating food that contains sesame and up to one hour later. The reaction can include a swelling or rush, an itchy throat, vomiting, or diarrhea. Severe reaction characterizes by difficulty breathing and feeling faint or dizzy.

Most people who suffer from sesame seed allergy have only mild reactions. However, severe reactions can lead to a fatal outcome.

Tragedy at Heathrow airport

The 15-year-old teenager collapsed on a flight from Heathrow to Nice. Despite her father’s attempts to save her by administering two EpiPen injections, the girl, sadly, died within hours.

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse suffered from severe sesame seed allergy. At the airport, she ate an artichoke, olive, and tapenade baguette, which she got from the Pret A Manger’s shop. It is believed the sesame was baked into the baguette, instead of being added to its crust.

READ ALSO: Devastated Parents Share An Important Message To Warn Everybody About Food Allergy That Took Their Son's Life

Natasha collapsed on the British Airways flight and later, passed away in Nice’s hospital. It was stated that the baguette didn’t list the ingredients, which the shop confirmed. Instead, the signs on shelves tell the customers they should ask a manager for allergen advice.

People reacted to the sad news

Pret a Manger states that the company has an allergen guide, which is provided in stores and online. The shop’s spokesman said that food allergies are taken extremely seriously.

READ ALSO: Unfair Death: Diary-Allergic 13-Year-Old Boy Died After Schoolmate Threw Cheese Down His T-Shirt