Beautiful Parsnip Can Be Life-Threatening. Woman Warns Others About Its Danger After Getting 2nd-Degree Chemical Burns
Sometimes, even beautiful and seemingly innocent plants can cause severe injuries. A woman from Vermont shared her personal story on Facebook to warn other people and draw awareness to the possible danger of wild parsnip.
Charlotte Murphy got 2nd-degree chemical burns to her legs after falling into a wild parsnip plant. Now, she wants to prevent similar cases by sharing her own experience.
Ruud Morijn Photographer / Shutterstock.com
The woman was traveling to the Southern part of the state and decided to stop on the side of the road. At some point, she fell into the plant, and the oil from it came into contact with her uncovered legs.
Charlotte didn’t pay much attention to this incident and went on with her day, spending enough time in the sun. If only she knew about the consequences!
A couple of days later, the woman noticed little red bumps on the area which came into contact with the plant. Charlotte claims she knew about the danger of the parsnip plant.
Jeff Holcombe / Shutterstock.com
Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine provides the following information about the plant:
Wild parsnip contains chemicals in the juices of its green leaves, stems, and fruits, that can cause an intense, localized burn – actually, a sunburn.
Over some time, the redness has increased and the area started to itch. Charlotte scratched a lot in her sleep and woke up with blisters on her leg. She was in the state of panic of how the blisters grew so much in a day.
Her legs were swollen so much she couldn’t even walk. Most likely, Charlotte will have scarring on those parts of the skin, but the most important thing is that she is expected to make a full recovery.
Martin Fowler / Shutterstock.com
If you got a parsnip burn, try to relieve symptoms first. If it is possible, cover the affected area with a wet cloth. In case of blisters, try to avoid rupturing for as long as possible. And the reason is the following: the skin of the blister acts as the natural bandage. To avoid infection, keep the area clean and apply the antibiotic cream.
We hope that Charlotte’s story will prevent similar cases!
This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.
Viral Story: Man Told Breastfeeding Mom To 'Cover Up' At Restaurant, And She Responded In The Most Hilarious Way