Common Causes Of Menstrual Pain And Ways To Relieve It
February 19, 2018 17:20 By Fabiosa
For a lot of women, the first day of the menstrual cycle, when their period begins, is associated with severe discomfort. This is explained by the fact that the level of ovarian hormones is reduced to critically low values. This stimulates the rejection of the inner shell of the uterus.
Bleeding occurs due to the need to rid the uterus of unnecessary tissues, unfertilized eggs, and a small amount of blood. This process is accompanied by an increased production of prostaglandins that stimulate uterine contractions and facilitate the opening of the cervix. The concentration of prostaglandins irritates the pain receptors of a woman's reproductive system, causing a feeling of discomfort and pain in the lower abdomen.
1. Causes of general malaise
It should be noted that prostaglandins (substances that are produced in the uterus to enhance its contractions) affect not only the uterus but also the entire body - in particular, they lead to the narrowing of blood vessels. This explains the general malaise that ladies experience. The most common unpleasant sensations during menstruation include headaches, dizziness, and weakness.
Below are the most effective ways to cope with unpleasant sensations during menstruation:
- special exercises (hiking tours);
- a special diet (excluding caffeine-containing foods, alcohol, fried, include parsley, anise, tea with ginger, and berries from your diet; eating small portions of food; not smoking);
- aromatherapy (with essential oils of sage, ylang-ylang, lavender, chamomile, and anise);
- acupuncture performed by an experienced specialist;
- medical preparations (anti-inflammatory and antihistamine preparations, antispasmodics).
At the same time, it is necessary to limit the consumption of products that lead to the occurrence of spasms in the vessels:
- dark chocolate;
- meat broth.
2. When you need to consult a doctor
The less active a woman's lifestyle is, the more severe the manifestations of discomfort will be. However, sometimes excessive pain indicates the need to consult a gynecologist.
The most common pathological processes include:
- endometriosis (a chronic gynecological disease);
- dysmenorrhea (disorders of the menstrual cycle);
- inflammation of a different nature and origin;
- presence of adhesions in the abdominal cavity.
The timely detection of any problem increases the chances of finding the best solution for the elimination of the problem. Therefore, if you are experiencing unbearable discomfort and extremely unpleasant sensations, you should immediately consult a healthcare specialist. You need to be especially cautious if the spasms take the form of convulsive contractions.
Perhaps the most effective way to reduce pain during menstruation is to distract yourself. Moderate physical activity (for example, yoga), a healthy lifestyle, and a positive mood are the best aids for any woman in relieving menstruation discomfort.
Source: obstetrician-gynecologist Lilit Nasibyan
This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not treat yourself, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.