LIFESTYLE & COMMUNITY

7 Everyday Things That Can Lead To Breast Cancer

Date April 19, 2018

It was found that only 10% of all breast cancer cases are associated with genetic factors. The remaining 90% is due to the influence of environmental factors. Breast cancer is a serious diagnosis, which most women are afraid of. According to statistics, every 8th woman faces this disease during their lifetime. Are there any steps that could be taken to minimize the risk? Certainly, yes!

via GIPHY

READ ALSO: In Sickness And Health: Bride With Stage 4 Breast Cancer Marries The Love Of Her Life

Here are 7 dangerous factors you need to avoid:

1. Smoking

Smoking not only significantly worsens the quality of life and promotes the development of cardiovascular diseases, but is also one of the main risk factors for the occurrence of more than 15 varieties of tumors (breast cancer is among them). Try to get rid of the bad habit as soon as possible.

2. Xenoestrogens

Xenoestrogens are synthetic chemicals that are structurally and functionally similar to natural estrogens. The direct connection with such negative health effects as a decrease in the number of spermatozoa in men and an increased risk of breast cancer in women has been determined. These substances are often contained in personal care products.

molekuul_be / Shutterstock.com

3. Alcohol

Alcohol abuse significantly increases the chances of getting breast cancer. TThe WHO’s basic recommendation is: The permissible dose of alcohol per day for a woman should not exceed 2-3 units (this number is equivalent to 20-30 milliliters of pure ethyl alcohol), while 2 days a week should be completely "dry."

4. Lack of sleep

One of the basic principles of normal life is a healthy night's sleep. Lack of sleep leads to negative changes of melatonin secretion, which in turn, increases the probability of insulin resistance and weight gain (both of these factors are associated with an increased risk of tumor occurrence).

crazystocker / Shutterstock.com

READ ALSO: 26-Year-Old Shay Sharpe, Diagnosed With Breast Cancer, Turned Into An Influential President Of Activists Organization And A Stunning Model

5. Sedentary life

Physical activity helps to maintain all processes normal (hormonal, cardio, muscle tonus), thereby reducing the risk of breast cancer. The World Health Organization recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week or 75 minutes of intense exercise. Movement is life!

nokkaew / Shutterstock.com

6. Hormonal therapy

Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is often used in the postmenopausal period. It is established that the course of HRT, which lasts more than 3 years, increases the likelihood of breast cancer. It is necessary to consult with the specialist regarding the possibility of using non-hormonal therapy to deal with the symptoms of menopause.

7. Non-healthy diet

There are quite a lot of potential carcinogens in our diet, as well as substances that can indirectly increase the risk of developing tumors. It is important to avoid food that is high in sugar (glucose and fructose), fried food, and food that contains trans fats and carbohydrates with a high glycemic index.

via GIPHY

Your health is in your hands. Besides using the tips above, it is recommended to undergo preventive examinations regularly!

READ ALSO: Tom Brady Says His Mom Is Doing ‘Really Well’ After Breast Cancer Battle


The material in this article is for informational purposes only. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not recommend that the reader rely fully on the information provided above.

Breast Cancer