11 Interesting Facts About Princess Diana Which Show What A Wonderful Woman And Mother She Was
November 28, 2018 19:53 By Fabiosa
August 31, 2018, marked the 21st anniversary of the death of the most beloved princess, a woman called the Queen of Hearts.
Princess Diana tragically died in 1997. She was only 36!
At the age of twenty, Diana Spencer already drew the world’s attention when she married the British Crown Prince Charles.
Their hectic marriage eventually broke apart, making both regulars on the covers of tabloids.
However, even after the divorce, Diana continued to be a role model for many people. Her unusual style dictated fashion trends, and her commitment to charity caused unstinted admiration.
Take a look at some facts about Princess Diana’s life to, once again, remember what a wonderful woman and mother she was!
11 facts about Lady Di
1. Diana Frances Spencer was born on July 1, 1961, in a family of British nobility. Her brother, Earl Spencer, recalled that even as a girl, she was “incredibly brave.”
2. In school, the future princess failed the final exams – twice. However, Diana felt that she was destined to do something more important.
I knew that something profound was coming my way. I was just treading water, waiting for it.
3. Before marrying Prince Charles, Diana Spencer rented an apartment with three roommates, and worked as a pre-school assistant at London.
4. When Diana and Prince Charles met in 1977, she was only 16 years old. At that time, for Charles, she was just his girlfriend’s younger sister. Their romance began three years later. Before getting married, Charles and Diana have met only 13 times.
5. Their fabulous wedding ceremony attracted massive attention of the press and public worldwide – it was watched by 750 million people all over the world! Despite this fact, she described that day as the worst day of her life.
6. In the following summer, Diana gave birth to their first son, William. The second one, Henry Charles Albert David, or simply, Harry, was born on September 5, 1984.
Her sons remember their mother as "loving, mischievous, and informal."
7. Princess Diana quickly gained international fame. For example, during her US trip in 1985, she got in the spotlight by dancing with John Travolta at the White House.
8. But in the royal marriage, which was doomed from the very beginning, the relationship between the spouses became worse. Charles allegedly kept seeing his current wife, Camilla Parker-Bowles, with whom he had been in a relationship even before his marriage with Diana.
There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.
The couple officially split in 1992, and their divorce was finalized only in 1996.
In a while, Diana publicly revealed the reasons for the separation, speaking frankly about the alleged infidelity of her husband and about her own struggle with bulimia, depression, and the tendency to self-harm.
9. After divorcing Charles, Lady Di became even more dedicated to charity. In particular, she became the main advocate of AIDS patients, fearlessly shaking patients’ hands without gloves.
10. During and after the marriage, Diana was one of the most photographed women in the world. She constantly traveled, meeting luminaries, such as Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Pope John Paul II, and others. Elton John became her close friend.
11. In 1997, Lady Di began dating Dodi Fayed, the son of an Egyptian billionaire.
On August 31 of the same year, trying to break away from annoying paparazzi, Diana, along with her lover and driver, Henri Paul, died in a car crash in Paris.
It was Tony Blair, Britain’s Prime Minister at the time, who famously referred to her as “the people’s princess.” And the mass outpouring of grief that followed proved and immortalized this observation.
Now Diana is still remembered and admired for always helping others. Once, she said: "Carry out a random act of kindness with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you!"
Interesting, what would Princes Diana be doing now? Share your thoughts in the comments!