PSYCHOLOGY

Grieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby Daughter

Date March 28, 2019

However well parents care for their babies’ safety, it is impossible to protect them from everything. You may have heard warnings that even window blinds, battery chargers, and marshmallows can pose a threat to a baby’s life.

Grieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterGrieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterIvica Drusany / Shutterstock.com

READ ALSO: “Do You Want To Know What It Is Like To Lose A Child?”: Young Mother Will Blame Herself For The Rest Of Her Life

Responsible parents know that children can’t be left on their own even for a minute and it’s not surprising that they use technological aids such as baby monitors. Few people think that devices specifically designed to ensure safety could cost a child's life.

In March of 2019, Daniel and Jason Duggan shared their heart-rending story with many publishers. Their daughter, Jessica, was a little over 1 when her life ended in a tragic accident.

Grieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterHalfpoint / Shutterstock.com

When Daniel was putting her daughter to sleep, she noticed that the baby monitor was slightly displaced but didn’t attach any importance to it. Jessica had probably reached for the wire somehow. The next morning, the baby was found suffocated in her own bed after getting entangled in the baby monitor cord.

READ ALSO: Warning! U.S. Food And Drug Administration Recalls This Popular Milk Due To Possible Allergic Reaction

And this is not the only case. In 2012, it was reported that the same tragic accident took the life of little Savannah. The girl was 10 months old and was only learning how to stand. The cause of death was baby monitor cord strangulation.

Grieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterGrieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterRobert Kneschke / Shutterstock.com

The most common mistakes in the use of such devices are ignoring recommendations of the manufacturers and placing the devices within babies’ reach. They must not be placed directly in the crib, on its walls or handrails, or on furniture within the baby's reach. It is also not recommended to use clamps and extension cords.

Grieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterGrieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterAndrey_Popov / Shutterstock.com

Many parents find baby monitors very convenient. However, basic safety rules mustn’t be ignored.

  1. When choosing a baby monitor, it is advisable to give preference to one that is capable of transmitting a high-quality image from a greater distance.
  2. Pay attention to warning labels.
  3. Store and fasten cords and any other potentially dangerous details out of children’s reach (at a distance of 3 feet or more), or better yet, choose a monitor that is wireless.
  4. Stay vigilant even when the child seems to be safe under your constant supervision with the help of a monitoring device.

Grieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterGrieving Mom Warns About The Danger Of Using A Baby Monitor: It Took The Life Of Her Baby DaughterPixieMe / Shutterstock.com

Even in the safest house, there are a lot of dangers for a child. No matter how good remote monitoring devices are, you shouldn’t rely on them 100%. Please share this information with those who may need this useful warning.

READ ALSO: Girl With Peanut Allergy Ate Cookie She Thought Was "Safe" For Her. Now, Her Mom Raises Awareness