Getting Married After 50: Does Grandma Need A Love Life?
January 25, 2019 14:04 By Fabiosa
Modern women over 50 often face problems that they would have never thought of 25-30 years ago.
For example, how to tell adult children that their mother is getting married again!
It is terrible to hear something like: “Why does my grandmother need a personal life?” “Is a 50-year-old woman really worth marrying again?” “How beneficial can it be?” Let's find out!
Statistics say the number of remarriages in adulthood is increasing every year. In 2013, 67% of Americans aged 55 to 64 years old were brave enough to get remarried.
However, among the seniors whose previous marriage ended in divorce or widowhood, men were much more likely to do it all over again.
Perhaps grandmothers aren’t quite eager to remarry, are they? Meanwhile, new officially registered relationships in adulthood can have a number of advantages.
Pros of marriage after 50
1. Couples that marry after 50 years no longer have illusions about aging and end-of-life. Their family happiness lies in the conscious desire to share the best and worst that awaits both partners.
2. Most living expenses are dramatically reduced when two people start living together. This is what Ramani Durvasula, a psychologist from Los Angeles, says:
Marrying for economic reasons is not a bad idea. Marriage is a utilitarian institution that our culture has over-romanticized. Issues like insurance, retirement income, household expenses, and even shared social security benefits, are all important, valid concerns.
3. Official marriage is the easiest way to get permission to visit your partner in the hospital. It also gives you the right to make medical decisions if your spouse is unable to do so.
Of course, no one said romance isn’t necessary! Love is powerful at any age!
So my great grandma got married today. She said to me "I know I'm old but he makes me feel like I'm young again"😭😍 pic.twitter.com/Rk7tn300iy— kinley (@Kinley_paige_) 19 января 2016 г.
What you need to know if you decide to get married after 50
It is important to understand that building a successful relationship at this age needs a special approach. Here’s what psychologists advise:
- Open your heart. Don’t be afraid to be yourself and share your thoughts. True love requires honesty.
- Keep your partner’s private life alive. No matter how close you are, you must be individual people with your own needs and interests. Be prepared that another adult doesn’t have to live according to your schedule.
- Here it is – enjoy! Don't forget to have some fun together. Visit new places and try new things.
Many women in the world have found the “love of their life” only in late adulthood. However, whether to marry after 50 or not is ultimately your decision. Remember, life often just begins at this age!
READ ALSO: In Style: 10 Chic Hairdos For Women Over 50
The material in this article is for informational purposes only and does not replace the advice of a certified specialist.