Warning That Could Save A Life: 3-Year-Old Child Almost Strangled Because Of Window Blinds

Family & Kids

January 29, 2019 17:04 By Fabiosa

Parents want to make their homes safe for children. They hide items that can hurt, lock all drawers and windows, child-proof any sharp corners, and plug the sockets. However, even the safest house harbors many dangers. You may encounter them in the most obvious places: car seats, tablets, and even sweets.

Warning That Could Save A Life: 3-Year-Old Child Almost Strangled Because Of Window BlindsTatyana Dzemileva / Shutterstock.com

On the verge of strangulation

Arika Hernandez is an experienced mom. Together with her husband, Danny, the woman raises three sons. Regardless of their endless security measures, they couldn’t protect her boys from all the dangers of their cozy home.

READ ALSO: Want Your Kid To Grow Up Smart? Speech Therapists Recommend Auglin's Intellectual Massage!

For various reasons, many of us prefer blinds instead of curtains. They are practical, easy to care for, look nice and... can be dangerous for children. Not so long ago, Arika shared a heartbreaking post on Facebook to warn other parents.

Her 3-year-old son played as usual on the upper bunk of a children's bed. The boy’s attention was attracted by the lifting cord that is used to make the blinds go up and down.

Warning That Could Save A Life: 3-Year-Old Child Almost Strangled Because Of Window Blinds Arika Hernandez / Facebook

Entangled in the cord, the boy desperately tried to loosen the noose around his neck, but it only scratched his skin more. Finally, he decided to jump off the bed, which would have been fatal had the thick thread not broken, apparently because of a manufacturing defect. As Arika reported, her roller blinds use durable materials, so the boy’s accident was a real miracle.

READ ALSO: Policeman Shares A Harsh Warning To A Speeding Teen And People Are Applauding His Powerful Message

Warning That Could Save A Life: 3-Year-Old Child Almost Strangled Because Of Window BlindsArika Hernandez / Facebook

Crystal Williams’s father had previously shared a similar story. The girl was only 4 when she got tangled up in cords. Fortunately, the mother was nearby to help just in time. These two cases can be called miraculous because some parents have lost a child in such cases.

How to protect children from similar accidents?

Even in the most caring and loving families, a child isn’t secured from choking. Watch this video to find out how little time is needed for your baby to be on the brink of death.

It is worth remembering that any blinds' cords are a threat, even if you cut off the external cords. Many models of window decor also have internal ones.

Warning That Could Save A Life: 3-Year-Old Child Almost Strangled Because Of Window BlindsYuliya Evstratenko / Shutterstock.com

Even though you need to explain to the child why you can’t play with these cords, you can make them safer in any of the following ways:

  1. Secure the cords as high as possible and make sure that after using the blinds, everyone else in the house does the same.
  2. Cut the loop, unless it reduces the functionality of the products, or use special clamps.
  3. Make sure there are no objects near the window that the child can use to reach the cords.
  4. Replace the decor with more secure cordless models.

Warning That Could Save A Life: 3-Year-Old Child Almost Strangled Because Of Window BlindsGajus / Shutterstock.com

Any cord in the house is a source of danger for a young child. Most often, the victims of accidental suffocation are children aged 2-4 years. All parents are able to prevent the tragedy by taking appropriate precautions. Share this information with your relatives and friends to let them secure their homes as well.

READ ALSO: Warning! Child Abuse Occurs More Often Than You Might Expect