PSYCHOLOGY

Should You Send Your Elderly Parents To A Nursing Home If You Can't Care For Them?

Date December 10, 2018 16:21

Caring for children is parents' main responsibility. However, when parents become old, the decision of their children to take care of them or not is entirely voluntary.

So, who is right? Those who sacrifice their personal life and work for the sake of their elderly parents? Or those who take a simpler path and move them to a nursing home?

This question will never have a single answer. But maybe statistics will help understand the situation.

Seniorliving reports that only 3% of elderly Americans live in nursing homes.

READ ALSO: Galloping Into Hearts: A Girl Went Viral After Surprising Seniors With A Majestic Horse At Their Nursing Home

The numbers show that even single elderly people choose home support. It becomes clear that hardly anybody will voluntarily go to a nursing home.

At the same time, seniors need constant care. Chronic diseases limit the ability to perform daily routines (bathing, dressing, eating).

Long-term care often includes the most intimate aspects of life, for example, maintaining personal hygiene.

According to experts, in 2007, 12 million Americans needed long-term assistance. Approximately 63% of them were people aged 65 and older (6.3 million), the remaining 37% were people younger than 64 years old (3.7 million people).

According to statistics, elderly people most frequently need the following services:

  • qualified nurses - 84%;
  • physiotherapy specialists - 40%;
  • general care professionals - 37%;
  • experts in housekeeping assistance (cleaning at home and caring for the elderly) - 17%;
  • geriatricians - 14%;
  • wound care - 14%;
  • nutrition and dietary counseling - 14%.

How can the children of elderly parents provide such specific needs? Of course, you could hire a nurse. But what if there is no money for it?

In this situation, people have to make a very difficult decision. Sometimes staying in a nursing home can really make your grandparents’ life healthier and safer.

READ ALSO: 98-Year-Old Woman Looks After Her 80-Year-Old Son In A Nursing Home

Many of us are afraid to imagine strangers taking care of our parents. However, this decision has both advantages and drawbacks!

This is what you should be prepared for.

24-hour care

Your permanent employment and lack of medical training can potentially lead to a deterioration in the health of elderly family members. Being in a nursing home, they receive round-the-clock and qualified medical care.

Security

A home can be dangerous for elderly people (due to the risk of falling and other potential problems). In addition, senior people often become the victims of fraudsters.

Scheduled life

A clear diet and social events can have a beneficial effect on the health and well-being of the elderly. At the same time, it limits their freedom!

Active social life

Should You Send Your Elderly Parents To A Nursing Home If You Can't Care For Them?Monkey Business Images / Shutterstock.com

An elderly person can speak with peers, maintain an active lifestyle, and feel like a member of the community in a nursing home. At the same time, your grandparents will miss you a lot.

High price

Staying in a nursing home can be quite expensive, since any high-class help is costly!

What do you think about it? Should adult children make their elderly parents live in nursing homes? What would you prefer? Share your opinions in the comments.

READ ALSO: Putting Your Parents In A Nursing Home Is Not A Remedy! Statistics Show Horrific Numbers Of Elder Abuse In Healthcare Facilities