Ironically, a healthy lifestyle also has its own trends from time to time. They usually appear when people, having heard or read stories about magical properties of some foods or procedures, decide to try them out. Without consulting a doctor to avoid a negative impact on their health.
The importance of the colon as a part of the digestive system
One of such trends is colon cleanse using big amounts of fluids (tea, coffee, herbal tea). The partisans of this procedure claim that it's capable of removing toxins and parasites from the body, decreasing high blood pressure, boost the immunity, and improve vitality. However, there is no official evidence to prove that.
In medical practice, colon cleanse is only performed when preparing for medical procedures such as colonoscopy.
Natural intestine cleanse
Also, people resort to this procedure in case of constipation or irregular defecation. At home, it can be done occasionally(not every day!) if prescribed for dealing with constipation and it's done through a natural body cleanse.
- drink big amounts of warm water (6-8 glasses per day);
- eat a lot of fruit and vegetables high in water or fiber;
- put 2 tsp. of sea salt in a glass of warm water, stir until dissolved, and drink on an empty stomach in the morning, soon you'll get the urge of going to the toilet;
- eat food that is beneficial for the gut microbiota ;
- if you have constipation but the diet doesn't help, drink herbal laxative tea which suits you.
As a colon is a part of the digestive system, it plays an important role in the overall functioning of the human body, therefore, this procedure should be done carefully and only after consulting a doctor. Intensive cleansing may lead to unintended consequences such as:
- sickness and vomiting;
- sudden blood pressure changes and dizziness;
- dehydration of the organism;
- intestinal flora disruption, the prevalence of pathogenic microflora.
In case of slightest suspicion for having any of these symptoms, you should stop the procedures immediately and seek medical help. Sadly, there are examples of fatal cases due to the excessive use of laxative and diuretic drugs.
It's crucial to know that gastrointestinal tract doesn't need to be perfectly clean, it needs to be functioning. Take care of proper nutrition: eat vegetables, fruit, healthy foods, and drink water. Then you won't need such drastic measures!
This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.