Model Nearly Lost Her Thumb Due To Nail Technician’s Sloppiness. Manicure Dangers And Safety Measures

Lifestyle & Health

September 12, 2018 18:26 By Fabiosa

Nowadays, increasingly more women trust the beauty of their nails to beauticians. They go to nail salons and give choose shellac or acrylic nails. The latter allows to adjust the length and shape and is considered more durable than conventional nail polish. Although it has been used for many years, the procedure can still be dangerous.

Lowrianne Wilson went to one of British beauty salons. It is unknown whether she had been there before, but what she certainly hadn’t expected was such an outcome. While working on an acrylic nail extension, the nail technician infected her left thumb. Unpleasant sensations took some time to appear, but the first visit to the doctor revealed a serious abscess under her thumbnail.

The girl said if she had addressed this problem later, the infection would have spread to her bone, and she would have lost her thumb. Lowrianne had an operation to remove the damaged nail and the abscess. But it wasn’t the end of the story - Wilson had to have a few more procedures, as the nail plate was growing back. Although the thumb was saved, there was still a chance she would not feel her thumb.

What are the dangers of getting your nails done at a salon?

Most problems after visiting nail salons are caused by nail technicians neglecting proper sterilization of their tools as well as personal hygiene.

READ ALSO: Beware Of Acrylic Nails! Model Almost Lost Her Thumb When It Became Infected After A Manicure

Not many of them work in gloves and have effective disinfecting equipment at their disposal.

The most common problems encountered by customers of nail salons include:

  • fungal, bacterial, and viral infections;
  • hepatitis C;
  • herpes;
  • methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus;
  • human papilloma virus.

Poor hygiene of the equipment and tools used also contributes to the development of mycobacterial abscesses. Some customers also encounter respiratory irritation caused by dust from the use of hardware manicure devices.

READ ALSO: Beware Of Pedicure! 7 Procedures That Are Not As Safe As You Might Think

This doesn’t mean that you should quit attending nail salons. To protect yourself, you only need to be more patient in search for a really good salon or specialist and also feel free to ask the right questions and demand compliance with basic standards.

How to protect yourself?

These simple recommendations apply not only to a nail salon you haven’t visited before.

It is best to arrive a bit earlier to have a chance to check:

  • the corresponding licenses;
  • the availability of the necessary equipment and cleanliness of the technician’s workplace;
  • the procedure of sterilization and the condition of the tools.

Cleaning and disinfection of the workplace should be done after each customer. Before getting to work, a nail technician must wash their hands or change their gloves.

Don’t be shy to ask about possible allergic reactions and don’t let your cuticle be removed mechanically. The best possible way is to purchase your own manicure kit and disinfect it yourself.

Unfortunately, Lowrianne Wilson’s story is not the only one out there. The girl posted it on Facebook to warn as many people as possible about the hidden dangers. Have you had unpleasant consequences of poor quality manicure or pedicure? Please, share it with others – it can be useful to many!

Source: Metro, The Talko, ELLE

READ ALSO: In The World Of Cosmetology: Popular Beauty Procedures You May Not Know About


This article is solely for informational purposes. Before using any of the information provided above, consult a certified specialist. Use of the information outlined above can be harmful to health. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for harm or other consequences that may result from the use of the information provided above.

Manicure