Cashmere Or Wool Sweater Has Shrunk While Washing? No Worries: A Simple Trick Will Return Its Normal Size!
February 6, 2019 16:59 By Fabiosa
Even though we all do laundry regularly, sometimes our carelessness may play a cruel joke at us. We are used to returning the original look to items painted in an unexpected color. However, the situation with shrunk cashmere or wool sweater is much more complicated. At the same time, don’t be in a hurry to get upset and throw away the damaged item – there's still hope in fixing it.
alexkich / Shutterstock.com
First of all, it's crucial to check the recommendations of the clothes manufacturer before loading the washing machine. Find out what the most common ones mean here.
Africa Studio / Shutterstock.com
Take heed that wool and cashmere clothes require special attention:
- Thin items should be washed every time you wear them, while thicker ones after you have worn them 2-3 times.
- Follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding mode and temperature selection.
- Use mesh bags to help prevent premature fiber thinning.
- Opt for powders or gels for washing delicate laundry.
- It is necessary to dry wool and cashmere clothes naturally. That is why it is advisable not to hang them, but carefully lay them on a horizontal surface to dry.
Billion Photos / Shutterstock.com
Iryna Gyrych / Shutterstock.com
READ ALSO: 14 Useful Laundry Lifehacks (Experts’ Tips)
What to do if the worst has already occurred, and your favorite sweater has shrunk?
- Don’t worry! You can fix it! Pour some warm water in the sink and add 2 oz of hair conditioner. Soak the spoiled thing and leave for about 10 minutes. The denser the material, the more hair conditioner may be required.
- Drain the water and gently wring out the sweater.
- Spread a clean towel on a horizontal surface. Place the shrunk cloth on it.
- Cover the sweater with another towel to let the fabric absorb as much water as possible.
- Gently stretch it to the required size and leave drying on a horizontal surface. That's the whole secret!
While any cashmere item is soft and pleasant to the touch, some wool clothing items can be itchy. Luckily, this too can be corrected!
- Soak the clothes in cold water with a few tablespoons of white vinegar for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water, gently wring out the item, trying not to stretch it.
- Take a small amount of hair conditioner and gently “rub” it into the fabric, distributing evenly.
- Leave the item for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly in cold water.
- Gently wring out the fabric and wait for it to dry completely.
There is nothing more comfortable than a warm and comfy sweater that was restored to its original appearance with these simple tips. Share this information with other wool and cashmere fans to let them enjoy the softness over and over again.
READ ALSO: 12 Laundry Mistakes People Might Make
This material is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the products and items discussed in this article may cause an allergic reaction and damage your health. Before use, consult a certified technician/specialist. The editorial board is not responsible for any harm or other consequences that may be caused by the use of the methods, products or items described in this article.