LIFESTYLE & COMMUNITY

“It’s Just A Bug Bite”: Park Superintendent Died In 3 Weeks

Date June 27, 2018 11:04

For more than a decade, Tamela Wilson worked in a state park. During these years, the woman learned a lot about dangerous insects and their bites. But it didn’t save her from a bite that took her life.

Aksenova Natalya / Shutterstock.com

The 58-year-old woman worked at Meramec State Park in Missouri, USA. In May of 2017, Wilson noticed two small ticks on her skin – not an uncommon thing for her. But only a few days later, she fell terribly ill.

YAKOBCHUK VIACHESLAV / Shutterstock.com

Doctors shrugged their shoulders clueless, while Ms. Wilson's health was getting worse. Finally, the blood tests revealed an ultra-rare tick-borne disease called Bourbon virus, discovered only in 2014. It is a virus without a cure that causes a severe rash on the skin and many other complications.

READ ALSO: Easiest Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes. Goodbye, Annoying Bloodsuckers!

Just 3 weeks after being hospitalized, the woman passed away. The grieving family has launched a campaign to raise awareness about this disease.

Jarabogu / Shutterstock.com

This story teaches an important lesson: Take care when hiking and use tick repellents. Don’t forget to take care of your pets as well.

READ ALSO: Tick Season Warning! Woman Discovered That Her Son Had A Rare Tick-Borne Disease, And It Was Almost Too Late


This article is solely for informational purposes. Do not self-diagnose or self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for any harm that may result from using the information provided in the article.