6 Common Houseplants That Are Poisonous To People And Pets

Lifestyle & Health

December 26, 2017 15:53 By Fabiosa

Houseplants are a nice addition to your home’s interior, and some of them purify the air and can be used as natural remedies. But you need to do some research before bringing any new plant into your home, because some of them are poisonous to humans (especially children) and pets, including cats and dogs.

Here are some plants that are not suitable for households with young children and pets:

1. Dieffenbachia

Also called dumb cane, this plant is popular because of its large, brightly-colored leaves. And it may be harmless, only as long as no one tries to eat it. Symptoms that occur after someone ingests it include numbing, swelling, and burning sensation in the oral cavity, sometimes leading to difficulty breathing and swallowing.

2. Oleander

Among the most popular houseplants, oleander may be the most toxic. Ingesting leaves of this plant can cause a number of symptoms that include irregular heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dizziness.

3. English ivy

English ivy is a popular climbing plant, but it’s toxic when ingested in large amounts. It may lead to symptoms, such as burning in the mouth and throat, skin rash, fever, convulsions, and stupor.

4. Philodendron

In addition to their beauty, philodendrons are quite low-maintenance. But they may pose a risk to humans and their fluffy friends. In people, ingesting philodendrons may cause skin rash and swelling of the mouth and lips. Symptoms are more serious in cats and dogs; they include difficulty breathing and swallowing, vomiting, and seizures.

5. Pothos

This plant is also called devil’s ivy and doesn’t require much of its owner’s attention. But eating it causes poisoning, which manifests in burning in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, and swollen lips, tongue, and throat (in humans). Symptoms in cats and dogs include choking, drooling, swollen tongue, and even kidney failure.

6. Peace lily

Peace lily, whose Latin name is Spathiphyllum, is famous for its beauty, but eating it is dangerous, both for people and their pets. Symptoms of poisoning in humans are quite typical and include vomiting, diarrhea, swollen lips, mouth, and tongue, as well as difficulty swallowing. Cats and dogs experience symptoms, such as drooling, dehydration, lack of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Source: David Wolfe, Dengarden (1), Dengarden (2)

READ ALSO: Poison Ivy Rash: How To Recognize It And What To Do To Ease The Symptoms


This article is purely for informational purposes. Do not self-medicate, and in all cases consult a certified healthcare professional before using any information presented in the article. The editorial board does not guarantee any results and does not bear any responsibility for harm that may result from using the information stated in the article.

Pets