If you experience symptoms described above, contact your doctor right away.
Treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding
In some cases, when the bleeding occurs in a girl who is going through puberty, no treatment is used because the hormone levels usually stabilize on their own over time.
In other cases, uterine bleeding needs treatment which depends on the cause and may involve the following:
- combination oral contraceptives (contain both estrogen and progesterone) and are used when a woman isn't planning to get pregnant;
- levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device, which is also used by women who aren't planning to have a baby;
- hysteroscopy to take out fibroids or polyps;
- endometrial ablation, a procedure in which the lining of the uterus is removed or destroyed;
- hysterectomy, surgical removal of the whole uterus, which is performed when other treatments didn't work.