Shooting Survivor David Hogg Boycotts School To Force Gun Reform
Florida’s recent school shooting definitely had a strong impact on society, especially students. However, is this enough for the government to change something?
David Hogg - the voice of students
David Hogg, 17, is a survivor of the February 14th massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, who is trying to force the government to make some changes. After the tragedy, Hogg became the voice of the student-led movement against gun violence.
There are few things you have to know about this kid:
1. Hogg is a student journalist. After the massacre, he decided to interview his classmates and other students about gun violence. One of the students commented on this matter:
Imagine you have kids, you send them to school, and you never see them again.
2. David was accused of being a paid “crisis actor.” He commented on this conspiracy theory:
It’s annoying. I hate it. But it’s part of American democracy. Am I an actor? No. Am I a witness? Yes.
3. Hogg thanked conspiracy theorists. The young journalist believes that they helped promote his message to the entire world.
4. He called for a boycott of the whole state as he asked people not to come to Florida for spring break unless gun legislation is passed.
Let's make a deal DO NOT come to Florida for spring break unless gun legislation is passed. These politions won't listen to us so maybe the'll listen to the billion dollar tourism industry in FL. #neveragain
— David Hogg (@davidhogg111) February 24, 2018
5. David Hogg isn’t going to return to school until at least one bill is passed. He believes that literally, any legislation would be a great beginning.
Florida Governor Rick Scott is open to some of the propositions on gun reform, such as raising the age for buying guns to 21 years and empowering courts to bar people from owning guns if they pose a threat. He refused to consider arming teachers.
David Hogg is not the only student who demands changes. On February 19, the students in the Washington D.C. laid down on the ground in front of the White House protesting against the current gun laws.
Let us hope, these student protests lead to the real actions from the government regarding gun laws. School shooting should become a thing of the past!
Parents Paint Messages Of Joy And Kindness In School Bathrooms After Florida Mass Shooting