Dolly Parton Opens Up About A Recipe Of Delicious Canned Peaches And Her Christmas Traditions
December 12, 2017 13:41 By Fabiosa
One of our favorite country singers loves not only performing and acting but cooking as well. It’s Dolly Parton’s real hobby, so her big family is absolutely lucky to taste some of her secret recipes during Christmas.
Dolly grew up in a family with 11 brothers and sisters, and she has only warm and sweet memories of her childhood. Of course, they had some nice Christmas traditions that Dolly remembers. She says her father used to whittle them new toys, and on the Christmas morning, they all ran to the stockings to find such yummy things as hard candies and apples. Her mother read Christmas stories and everybody sang carols. Dolly still misses those happy times in a cozy two-room cabin, but time flies, and her big family created new Christmas rituals.
Dolly Parton and her husband, Carl Dean, don’t have any children. But they took a big part in raising some of the children of Dolly’s brothers and sisters. They even call her Aunt Granny. So, every Christmas, she hosts a Granny Night, dressing up in Santa’s clothes and calling herself Granny Claus. Children just love that. Their favorite aunt cooks a lot of delicious things and brings presents.
But Dolly puts a holiday spirit not only in her family celebrations. She owns a theme park called Dollywood in Tennesse, and always make top-notch preparations for Christmas there. They decorate everything with Christmas lights, and Dolly writes some new songs to perform on the stage. What’s more, she opened a cute restaurant called “Aunt Granny” and promised that it’s possible only there to try some of the delicious dishes cooked by her secret family recipes.
However, some of these secrets Dolly is happy to share with others. For example, her famous pickled peaches. So, if you are in the mood of surprising your family with some Parton’s homemade delicacies, feel free to try this one.
- 4 lbs peaches;
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar;
- 4 cups sugar;
- 8 cinnamon sticks;
- 1 tbsp ginger (peeled and chopped);
- 2 tsp whole cloves.
The process comprises these elements:
- Boil a large pot of water for parboiling the peaches.
- Prepare a big bowl with water and ice.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, ginger, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and 2 cups of water. Boil and stir often until the sugar has dissolved completely. Remove from the heat.
- Parboil the peaches (put them in boiling water for 30 seconds). After that, put them in the ice water.
- Remove the skins, pit, and halve the peaches. Put them into the mixture of sugar and spices and place the pot over low heat. Cover it and simmer for 10 minutes until peaches are tender.
- Using slotted spoon, place the peaches into sterilized, hot jars. Fill them within ¾ inch of the rim.
- Sliding a nonmetallic spatula between the peaches and the jar, remove the air bubbles. Clean the rim with a wet cloth.
- Put a heated lid and screw it down.
- Place the jars in a hot water for 30 minutes.
- After that, let them cool on a towel for 12-24 hours.
- The peaches can be kept in a cool and dark place up to 1 year.
We hope that you will like this recipe. Please, share your thoughts with us.