What Causes Mold In Houses And How To Get Rid Of It
January 25, 2018 11:59 By Fabiosa
Many people live unaware of mold's existence until they encounter it personally. It’s something that happens more often than we might think. Mold is a part of nature and it helps to break down dead organic matter. But when it starts to grow indoors, it can be very dangerous.
What is mold and what causes it to grow
Mold is a fungus that grows in the form of thread-like structures. They develop from tiny spores, which float in the air and are invisible to the human’s eye. When these spores land on surfaces that have some moisture, it causes mold to grow indoors.
The sources of moisture in houses could be air humidifiers, leaks from plumbing, washings, and others. If the place is damp, warm, and has a poor air conditioning, it’s highly likely for it to get mold. Other than that, if your heated pipes were badly installed, you can be sure to find mold behind the walls.
A mold colony usually grows in places with a 60% or higher moisture content. The perfect temperature for the intensive fungal development is about +71.6 - +82.4 °F (+22 - +28 °С).
One of the most common types of black mold that grows on the walls is called mildew. If it wasn’t spotted in time, it can infect very large areas. A great indicator of microbial growth in houses is a specific smell, which appears even when there is no visible infection. It’s important to fix the problem as soon as you discover it because some types of mold can be very toxic.
If you spotted a black patch on your wall, apply some bleach on it. If the dark colors start to fade within a few minutes, you’ve got mold. If not, it’s probably just dirt.
How to get rid of it
There are many ways to get rid of mold. For the best results, the process should have 3 phases:
- You should start by removing fungus with a bleach spray from walls, windowsills, and any other places that got infected. A brush with stiff bristles is the best for this task. If any wooden objects have a mold colony on them, then it’s better to replace or remove them completely.
- Next, you should use a chemical treatment. It can be special fungus removers or any other substances that are used for this purpose. Let the surface on which you used the treatment dry.
- Lastly, you need to find out what caused mold to grow and eliminate the reason. It’s a necessary step, which will ensure that mold won’t appear again.
Ok so my bathroom shower mildew had gotten out of control ???????????? so I decided to do something about it finally!! I put a cap of Thieves Cleaner into a spray bottle and then filled it with peroxide. I sprayed everything down and left it for a few minutes then just did a quick once over with an old brush and then rinsed. Quite an improvement!! And I didn't have to endure a headache from smelling bleach!! ???????????????? I think next time I'll add lemon oil as well!
When treating mold, don’t forget to wear gloves and a protective face-mask. Also, it is recommended to open the windows in the room you are working in.
To prevent mold from growing, it’s better to keep humid spaces well-ventilated and spread your towels to dry. Also, act quickly if you discover any licks.
Keep in mind that if the place is dry and has a good air conditioning, then it’s very unlikely for mold to grow there. Most importantly, don’t panic! It’s a common thing to occur and now you are well-armed to fight it.
This material is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the products and items discussed in this article may cause an allergic reaction and damage your health. Before use, consult a certified technician/specialist. The editorial board is not responsible for any harm or other consequences that may be caused by the use of the methods, products or items described in this article.